Citing a decline of in-state wagering, Turf Paradise in Phoenix, Arizona announced Jan. 18 that it would reduce the purses of six stakes races.
The Northern California invader Tribesman got the jump on odds-on choice Idiot Proof to win the $100,000 Phoenix Gold Cup for his fifth consecutive victory Feb. 16 at Turf Paradise.
Robert Bone's 11-1 shot Relato Del Gato set a sizzling pace under regular jockey Glen Corbett but kept to his task in the stretch to register a 2 3/4-length upset win over 9-10 choice Sailors Sunset in the $100,000 Phoenix Gold Cup at Turf Paradise Saturday.
Mitchell Ranch's Argentine-bred Iron Halo pulled away from favored Taiaslew in the stretch for his first win the United States, a 2 1/4-length upset victory in Saturday's $100,000 Phoenix Gold Cup Handicap for sprinters at Turf Paradise.
Eight-time stakes winner Taiaslew is the 123-pound highweight in a field of nine entered for the $100,000 Phoenix Gold Cup Handicap for 3-year-olds and up at six furlongs March 13 at Turf Paradise in Arizona.
The Eric Kruljac-trained Grimm will be going for his fifth straight win in the $100,000 Phoenix Gold Cup Saturday at Turf Paradise.
TVG will feature live on-location coverage of the 46th running of the Phoenix Gold Cup, Turf Paradise's $100,000 six furlong sprint for three year olds and upward, this weekend. Coverage from the Valley of the Sun will begin at 2 pm (EST) on Saturday, March 11 with TVG racing analyst and host, Caton Bredar live from Turf Paradise. Bredar will provide interviews with trainers, jockeys, owners and track personnel as well as in-depth analysis of events leading up to, during, and after the race.
Most Popular Stories
- Princess Violet Tops Ruffian Stakes Entrants
- Pletcher Considers Preakness Stakes Options
- Wolf Man Rocket Ships in for Peter Pan Stakes
- Unspurned Seeks Repeat Performance in Hendrie
- Beholder, Warren's Veneda Face Off in Vanity
- Hardest Core in Man o' War vs. Imagining
- NYRA to Cap Belmont Attendance at 90,000
- Keeneland Simulcast Operations to Red Mile
- MarketWatch: Jamie Hill on Sires, Pinhooking
- KHRC Vote on Salix Threshold Triggers Debate