Elusive Jazz returns to Keeneland to defend his title in the $250,000 Phoenix Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) Oct. 7. Last year's winner, who has only raced twice in 2006, will face 10 others in the six furlong test. Bobby Barnett trains the 5-year-old for Stony Oak Farm.
Stony Oak Farm's Elusive Jazz, making his graded stakes debut, rolled to victory with a well-timed ride from Robby Albarado in the $266,500 Phoenix Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Keeneland.
Nine sprinters, topped by graded stakes winners Bwana Charlie and Level Playingfield, will contest Saturday's $250,000 Phoenix Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) at Keeneland. All starters carry 118 pounds in the six furlong test.
Keeneland is gearing up for its 2005 fall meeting Oct.7-29, which will distribute more than $10.5 million in total purses and will serve as a springboard for the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships Oct. 29 at Belmont.
When Keeneland kicks off its fall meeting Oct. 7, it will mark the richest meeting ever for the Central Kentucky track with 19 stakes worth $5,075,000 on the schedule. The 17-day meet concludes Oct. 29.
Smile Sprint (gr. III) winner Champali and Canadian Frontier, who has back-to-back stakes wins at Monmouth Park to his credit, are the 122-pound co-highweights for Friday's Phoenix Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) that is part of the opening-day card at Keeneland in Lexington, Ky.
Buckram Oak Farm's Najran tracked the pace and pulled away to score an easy victory in the $264,000 Phoenix Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Keeneland Friday.
Breeders' Cup Sprint contender Xtra Heat withstood some quick early pressure and turned in her first career victory over males by three lengths Saturday in the 150th running of the $250,000 Phoenix (gr. III) at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Union Rags Colt Goes for $1 Million at OBS