Favored Something Extra proved a popular front-running winner of the Highlander Stakes (Can-IIT) July 6 on the Woodbine turf course, defeating champion Canadian sprinter Phil's Dream with Eurico Rosa Da Silva aboard.
Something Extra, whose theft effort came up just shy last time out in the Connaught Cup (Can-IIT), shortens up a bit in distance for his return to the Woodbine turf in the $200,000 Highlander Stakes (gr. IIT) July 6.
Sam-Son Farm's homebred Up With the Birds was honored as Canadian Horse of the Year for 2013 at the 39th annual Sovereign Awards held April 11 at Woodbine Race Track in Toronto.
Bear No Joke caught reigning Canadian champion sprinter and pacesetter Essence Hit Man in midstretch and edged past for a 17-1 upset victory in the Kennedy Road Stakes (Can-II) Nov. 30 at Woodbine.
Grade I winner Phil's Dream puts his four-race win streak on the line against seven rivals in the $150,000 Kennedy Road Stakes (Can-III) Nov. 30 on the Woodbine Polytrack.
Stalker Phil's Dream, overlooked at odds of 9-1, burst to the front near the sixteenth pole and rolled to victory in the Nearctic Stakes (Can-IT) on the turf in his graded-stakes debut Oct. 13 at rainy Woodbine.
The final Breeders' Cup "Win & You're In" challenge event for 2013 brings together a well-matched field of 11 in the $300,000 Nearctic Stakes (Can-IT) on the turf Oct. 13 at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Dortmund Stands Out in Los Alamitos Futurity
- Attorney: NYTHA Protest Plan Not Objective
- Slideshow: 2014 Farewells
- RCI Appoints Five to New Medication Board
- RMTC Plans Changes but No Merger with RCI
- Date Announced for Second CBA Symposium
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Heleringer Resigns as KEEP Executive Director