Shkspeare Shaliyah and Pure Gossip turned in strong rallies to win two grade III turf stakes at Belmont Park Oct. 2 and appear headed to the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Flying Zee Stable's 7-year-old Cosmonaut has been retired following a successful career, in which the son of Lemon Drop Kid-Cosmic Fire, by Capote, won eight of 36 starts for earnings of nearly $1.4 million.
Golden Commander swung to the outside for room in the upper stretch and closed steadily in the final sixteenth of a mile to win the $114,700 West Point Handicap for New York breds on turf at Saratoga Race Course on Sunday.
Trainer Phil Serpe was forced to postpone a planned Sunday morning workout for Formal Attire because of a stubborn foot bruise, but will try again Monday in hopes the colt can make Saturday's $300,000 Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. II).
Saratoga Notebook: McPeek Thinking Upset; Weight Could Factor; Tagg Rethinks Hopeful; Bond High on Solar Man
When Sarava rocked the Thoroughbred world by winning the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) last June, trainer Ken McPeek may have been the least surprised by the unexpected upset.
Seeking The Ring and Brattothecore, who finished in a deadheat for the victory in their last meeting, square off again in Monday's Wonder Where Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Woodbine.
Trainer Mickey Goldfine was putting the final touches on Senor Swinger Friday morning, just hours before the colt put his undefeated record on the line in Gulfstream Park's grade I Florida Derby. At $1 million, the 1 1/8-mile race is the richest prep in the nation for the Triple Crown.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Swiss Lake Yodeler Solves Soviet Problem
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Sweet Lulu Breaks From Rail in La Brea Clash
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- No Jet Lag Can Make Amends in Sir Beaufort
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Elusive Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field