Phil Heard, who joined Hastings Park as general manager in April of 2000, resigned on Tuesday.
Hastings Park is for sale. The Vancouver racetrack that was purchased by Woodbine Entertainment Group in 2002 apparently isn't performing as well as its parent company had hoped, even though attendance and wagering have increased since it changed hands.
Hastings Park officials were hopeful slot machines could be installed at the racetrack sometime next summer. However, after a Vancouver city council vote on Tuesday night, installing slots at the racetrack is still on hold.
The Vancouver city council has lifted its ban on slots, which means, if things progress as expected, Hastings Park racetrack could install as many as 900 slot machines by this time next year.
Hastings Park in British Columbia, Canada, has ended its Friday night experiment. The track has canceled the last five of this season's eight scheduled Friday race cards.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Former Derby Hopefuls Meet in American Turf