Gary Stevens and Slim Shadey came up big right from the gate, leading the San Marcos field from flag fall to wire to score at Santa Anita Park Feb. 9.
Slim Shadey put in a five-furlong maintenance work of 1:01 1/5 on the main track Oct. 28 in preparation for the Nov. 3 Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).
A freshened Slim Shadey, given a two-month break since a disappointing effort in the Eddie Read Stakes (gr. IIT), showed his heels in the $150,000 John Henry Turf Championship (gr. IIT) Sept. 30 at Santa Anita Park.
Slim Shadey, given a crafty front-running ride by David Flores, pirated the $150,000 San Marcos Handicap (gr. IIT) at rainy Santa Anita Feb. 11 at 11-1 odds, holding on by a head for his first stakes victory.
Doncaster's St. Leger Festival yearling sale began on a modest note on Sept. 11,with two £32,000 lots topping the session.
Cockney Rebel, a 25-1 shot, won the Two Thousand Guineas (Eng-I) at Newmarket on Saturday -- the first classic of England's flat-racing season.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Challenge a Lucrative Entry for Starters
- Can Calculator Figure in BC Juvenile?
- That Handicapping Show: Hagyard Fayette S.
- Canterbury Requests 70 Racing Dates for 2015
- Breeders' Cup Features 201 Pre-Entered Horses
- California's Golden Eagle Farm Set to Close
- Tapit Filly Tops Record F-T October Sale
- Sherman Sees California Chrome Bouncing Back
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Declaration of War Moving to Ashford Stud