Gary Stevens and Slim Shadey came up big right from the gate, leading the San Marcos field from flag fall to wire to score at Santa Anita Park Feb. 9.
Slim Shadey put in a five-furlong maintenance work of 1:01 1/5 on the main track Oct. 28 in preparation for the Nov. 3 Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).
A freshened Slim Shadey, given a two-month break since a disappointing effort in the Eddie Read Stakes (gr. IIT), showed his heels in the $150,000 John Henry Turf Championship (gr. IIT) Sept. 30 at Santa Anita Park.
Slim Shadey, given a crafty front-running ride by David Flores, pirated the $150,000 San Marcos Handicap (gr. IIT) at rainy Santa Anita Feb. 11 at 11-1 odds, holding on by a head for his first stakes victory.
Doncaster's St. Leger Festival yearling sale began on a modest note on Sept. 11,with two £32,000 lots topping the session.
Cockney Rebel, a 25-1 shot, won the Two Thousand Guineas (Eng-I) at Newmarket on Saturday -- the first classic of England's flat-racing season.
Most Popular Stories
- Del Mar Sets Plan to Solve Turf Course Issue
- Some Top Trainers Support Phasing Out Salix
- Indiana Sire Lantana Mob Gets First Winner
- WV Hires New Lab; Purse Money Still in Limbo
- Champion She's a Tiger Retired
- Tumor Side Effect Leads to Filly's Group I DQ
- Bertha Wright of Calumet Dynasty Dies at 94
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Monmouth to Reduce Overnight Purses by 10%
- Illinois Tracks Seeking Fewer Dates in 2015