Gary Stevens and Slim Shadey came up big right from the gate, leading the San Marcos field from flag fall to wire to score at Santa Anita Park Feb. 9.
Slim Shadey put in a five-furlong maintenance work of 1:01 1/5 on the main track Oct. 28 in preparation for the Nov. 3 Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).
A freshened Slim Shadey, given a two-month break since a disappointing effort in the Eddie Read Stakes (gr. IIT), showed his heels in the $150,000 John Henry Turf Championship (gr. IIT) Sept. 30 at Santa Anita Park.
Slim Shadey, given a crafty front-running ride by David Flores, pirated the $150,000 San Marcos Handicap (gr. IIT) at rainy Santa Anita Feb. 11 at 11-1 odds, holding on by a head for his first stakes victory.
Doncaster's St. Leger Festival yearling sale began on a modest note on Sept. 11,with two £32,000 lots topping the session.
Cockney Rebel, a 25-1 shot, won the Two Thousand Guineas (Eng-I) at Newmarket on Saturday -- the first classic of England's flat-racing season.
Most Popular Stories
- Meet the Rare White Foal at Rockridge Stud
- East Vs. West in Second Derby Future Wager
- Flashy American, Funfair Light Up Bid Board
- WinStar Derby Challenge Begins Feb. 12
- Fasig-Tipton Winter Mixed Sale Posts Declines
- Casse Cues Up Sam F. Davis Wildcard
- Making the Grade: Mohaymen
- Industry Makes Its Case Against Decoupling
- Fasig-Tipton Ky Winter Mixed Sale Day 2 Wrap
- HRRN to Cover Penn Gaming Racing Challenge