Although the Sunshine Millions races feature horses bred in Florida and California, the likely favorite for the Sunshine Millions Oaks will be shipping in from Louisiana's Fair Grounds with jockey Shaun Bridgmohan along to ride for trainer Steve Asmussen.
Phantom Income and Preachin Man won divisions of the National Association of Two-Year-Old Consignors Futurity at Meadowlands on the night of Sept. 29.
It's still early in the 2-year-old season, but it seems that Bob Baffert already has a slight leg up on the rest of the competition, as the trainer has a pair of good-looking prospects, both by 2002 Juvenile champion Vindication. One of them, More Happy, will headline a field of 10 in the 116th running of the $250,000 Spinaway Stakes (gr. I) Sept. 2 at Saratoga, the nation's first Grade I event of the year for 2-year-olds.
The Aug. 15 Adirondack Stakes (gr. II) at Saratoga has attracted nine entrants, and they have combined for 11 wins from 16 starts, with none finishing out of the money.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- After 35 Years, Jockey Joe Steiner Retires
- McCarthy, Trainer of General Quarters, Dies
- Ancient Secret Scores in Lake George
- Songbird Logs First Gallop at Saratoga
- Sweet Loretta Powers to Schuylerville Win