Race favorite Kizuna closed relentlessly from behind and snatched victory from Epiphaneia near the finish line in the $5.2 million Tokyo Yushun (Jpn-I), or Japanese Derby, May 26 at Tokyo.
Koji Maeda's grade II-winning Sunday Break has been retired and will take up stud duty in 2004 at Graham Beck's Gainesway Farm near Lexington.
Japanese superhorse T.M. Opera O was the unanimous choice for 2000 Horse of the Year in his native country, according to the list of champion released by the Japan Racing Association. A son of Opera House, T.M. Opera received all 296 votes for Horse of the Year. Winner of the Japan Cup (Jpn-I), T. M. Opera O was undefeated in eight starts last year, with earnings of ¥1,036,004,000 (about US$9,466,254) as he was also named champion older horse.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Fast Uncle Mo Filly Tops F-T Midlantic Sale
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Call for Support
- Possible NYRA Plan Concerns Saratoga Group
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park