Race favorite Kizuna closed relentlessly from behind and snatched victory from Epiphaneia near the finish line in the $5.2 million Tokyo Yushun (Jpn-I), or Japanese Derby, May 26 at Tokyo.
Koji Maeda's grade II-winning Sunday Break has been retired and will take up stud duty in 2004 at Graham Beck's Gainesway Farm near Lexington.
Japanese superhorse T.M. Opera O was the unanimous choice for 2000 Horse of the Year in his native country, according to the list of champion released by the Japan Racing Association. A son of Opera House, T.M. Opera received all 296 votes for Horse of the Year. Winner of the Japan Cup (Jpn-I), T. M. Opera O was undefeated in eight starts last year, with earnings of ¥1,036,004,000 (about US$9,466,254) as he was also named champion older horse.
Most Popular Stories
- Tonalist Looks Tough in Jim Dandy Stakes
- Tonalist, Wicked Strong Headline Jim Dandy
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Dance With Fate Off the Bench for San Diego
- Record Breakers Headed for Del Mar Debutante
- Art Sherman to Receive Laffit Pincay Award
- Daring Dancer Prevails in Lake George Stakes
- Shanon Nicole Takes Off-Turf Indiana Grand
- Can Coup de Grace Land Blow in Amsterdam?
- Delaware, Horsemen Hope to Pay Late Purses