Philip Vela, an influential figure in the New Zealand Thoroughbred industry, died April 18 surrounded by family at his home in Te Kowhai.
Peter Vela, owner of the Karaka Sales Complex and an avid breeder, consigns top-priced horse.
Danehill filly sells for NZ$1.3 million at New Zealand's premier yearling auction.
Gross, average record big increases at the New Zealand Bloodstock's premier yearling auction.
In what amounts to a massive coup for the New Zealand Thoroughbred industry, Peter and Philip Vela have announced the purchase by their Pencarrow Stud of 20 broodmares in foal to Irish sensation Danehill.
Ethereal, the champion New Zealand-bred Australian stayer by Rhythm, has been retired. The heroine of last year's Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) signed off with another exciting win in The BMW Harry Tancred Stakes (Aust-I) at Sydney's Rosehill Gardens on March 23.
Most Popular Stories
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Finley'sluckycharm Makes it Three in a Row in Chicago
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup