Philip Vela, an influential figure in the New Zealand Thoroughbred industry, died April 18 surrounded by family at his home in Te Kowhai.
Peter Vela, owner of the Karaka Sales Complex and an avid breeder, consigns top-priced horse.
Danehill filly sells for NZ$1.3 million at New Zealand's premier yearling auction.
Gross, average record big increases at the New Zealand Bloodstock's premier yearling auction.
In what amounts to a massive coup for the New Zealand Thoroughbred industry, Peter and Philip Vela have announced the purchase by their Pencarrow Stud of 20 broodmares in foal to Irish sensation Danehill.
Ethereal, the champion New Zealand-bred Australian stayer by Rhythm, has been retired. The heroine of last year's Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) signed off with another exciting win in The BMW Harry Tancred Stakes (Aust-I) at Sydney's Rosehill Gardens on March 23.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Lady Aurelia Awaits Queen Mary at Ascot
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Court Ruling Important in Hobby Law Tax Cases
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- The Path Back to Victory for Red Vine
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby