Trainer Peter Chapple-Hyam tallied his first group I win in eight years when Marcel pulled a 33-1 shocker in the Racing Post Trophy (Eng-I) for 2-year-olds at Doncaster.
European champion and dual classic winner Rodrigo de Triano has died of pneumonia at age 25 in Japan, where he stood during his stallion career.
Doncaster's St. Leger sale - the first British or Irish yearling auction of 2008 - failed to match its 2007 figures when ending Aug. 28 in England. The average of 33,649 pound sterling (approximately $61,725) was down 10%, the median of 26,000 pounds ($47,694) fell by 11%. The 13,493,500 pounds ($24,752,207) turnover for the 401 horses that sold dropped by 14.4%.
Authorized turned the tables on his older rivals with a dominating performance in the Juddmonte International Stakes (Eng-I) at York August 21.
Heavy favorite Authorized romped to an impressive five-length victory in the Vodafone Derby (Eng-I) at Epsom Downs on Saturday, providing champion jockey Frankie Dettori with a long sought-after win in the English classic.
In only his second career start, 25-1 outsider Authorized powered home to win the Racing Post Trophy Stakes (Eng-I) at Newbury on Saturday.
Dutch Art remained undefeated with an impressive victory in the Shadwell Stud Middle Park Stakes (Eng-I) at Newmarket on Friday.
Dutch Art maintained his unbeaten record with a polished win in the Darley Prix Morny (Fr-I) at Deauville on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Churchill Considers Historic Gaming Machines
- Unbridled Unleashed
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby