Trainer Peter Chapple-Hyam tallied his first group I win in eight years when Marcel pulled a 33-1 shocker in the Racing Post Trophy (Eng-I) for 2-year-olds at Doncaster.
European champion and dual classic winner Rodrigo de Triano has died of pneumonia at age 25 in Japan, where he stood during his stallion career.
Doncaster's St. Leger sale - the first British or Irish yearling auction of 2008 - failed to match its 2007 figures when ending Aug. 28 in England. The average of 33,649 pound sterling (approximately $61,725) was down 10%, the median of 26,000 pounds ($47,694) fell by 11%. The 13,493,500 pounds ($24,752,207) turnover for the 401 horses that sold dropped by 14.4%.
Authorized turned the tables on his older rivals with a dominating performance in the Juddmonte International Stakes (Eng-I) at York August 21.
Heavy favorite Authorized romped to an impressive five-length victory in the Vodafone Derby (Eng-I) at Epsom Downs on Saturday, providing champion jockey Frankie Dettori with a long sought-after win in the English classic.
In only his second career start, 25-1 outsider Authorized powered home to win the Racing Post Trophy Stakes (Eng-I) at Newbury on Saturday.
Dutch Art remained undefeated with an impressive victory in the Shadwell Stud Middle Park Stakes (Eng-I) at Newmarket on Friday.
Dutch Art maintained his unbeaten record with a polished win in the Darley Prix Morny (Fr-I) at Deauville on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Favored Amis Gizmo Captures Prince of Wales
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Gun Runner Arrives at Monmouth for Haskell
- Dalakhani Pensioned from Stud Duty
- Bradley Reflects on Big Day at Saratoga
- Old Friends Reports Death of Futural
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate