Pete Bradley of Bradley Thoroughbreds gives a buyer's perspective of the Fasig Tipton July sale. Sponsored by Taylor Made Sales. Watch Video
Improvements included wood paneled walls, theater-style seating, and a warm color scheme.
Even though the stock market has been enjoying a recent rally, buyers and sellers of young horses aren't expecting a similar rebound in yearling prices. Heading into the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July select auction, which kicks off the 2009 yearling selling season, some people were predicting further downturns of 30% or more in key business figures, mainly because the health of the overall economy, here and abroad, remains weak.
Tom Ryan, a member of Pete Bradley's team at Bradley Thoroughbred Brokerage since 2001, is striking out on his own.
Big spenders gather at Calder Race Course in Florida for world's swankiest sale of 2-year-olds in training, which produced a world record price of $16 million in 2006.
Graded stakes winners St Averil and Gators N Bears will enter stud in 2006 at Maryland Stallion Station (Don Litz, president) near Glyndon, Md.
Sale records were established for average and median during Keeneland's April auction of 2-year-olds in training. But those results didn't tell the whole story about what happened on a cold and snowy spring day in Central Kentucky. The buy-back rate inched upward to a sale-record high. The number sold plunged to a sale-record low. And consignors complained often about buyers who were too picky and too few in numbers. In other words, the auction experienced many of the same problems that afflicted earlier juvenile sales this year in Florida and California.
Most Popular Stories
- Prominent Sire Beau Genius Dies at 29
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Grade II Winners to Battle in WV Derby
- 'The Chief' in Florida Rather Than Saratoga
- Wilkins to Direct Calumet Stallion Division
- Travers or Pennsylvania Derby Next for Bayern
- R Free Roll Leads the Way in Honorable Miss
- No Worries for Paquette in First Race Call
- Catalano's Daughter Reports Progress
- Emperors Palace 2YO Sale Set for August