Graded stakes winners Can't Beat It and Outperformance will likely vie for the favorite's role in an overflow field of 16 entered for the Pete Axthelm Stakes at Calder Race course Saturday.
Carolyn M. Chapman's Malibu Mint made a remarkable recovery after nearly going down in tight quarters on the far turn, rallying to win the $100,000 Chaposa Springs Handicap for fillies and mares at Calder Race Course Saturday.
Silver Diamond Thoroughbreds' Wire Bound won the $100,000 Pete Axthelm Stakes for 3-year-olds at Calder Race Course on Saturday, defeating favored Caballero Negro by half a length. In a very close finish, More Bourb was a neck back in third.
An overflow field of 16 passed the entry box for the 12th running of the Pete Axthelm Stakes Saturday to be contested over 7 1/2 furlongs on the turf at Calder Race Course. Only 12 3-year-olds will be allowed to start.
Magic Mecke won his third consecutive race by taking the$100,000 Pete Axthelm Stakes Saturday at Calder Race Course, breaking the stakes record time in the process.
Swift Replica, at 17-1, tried to make every pole a winning one in Saturday's $100,000 Pete Axthelm Stakes at Calder Race Course, but was nabbed just before the wire by Stormy Roman, himself an even longer shot at 30-to-1 odds.
The $100,000 Pete Axthelm Stakes and $100,000 Frances A. Genter Stakes to be run Saturday at Calder, companion events for 3-year-olds at 7 ½ furlongs on turf, have attracted strong fields, including a number of graded stakes runners.
Eibar Coa rode winners in both $100,000 features at Calder Race Course on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- Belterra to Honor the late Harry Holcomb
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture