From the time he was a foal at Harris Farms in California's Central Valley, California Chrome made sure people noticed him. With his flashy markings, the chestnut colt was easy to spot, but he seemed to seek out attention.
California champion Unzip Me has been retired from racing with 14 wins and earnings of $959,228.
When it comes to Santa Anita's hillside turf course, it seems there is no getting by Unzip Me, who turned back a couple of challengers in the lane to win the $100,000 Monrovia Stakes (gr. IIIT) under threatening skies Jan. 2.
Leading virtually throughout, favored Unzip Me prevailed in the $100,000 Senator Ken Maddy Handicap (gr. IIIT) on opening night of the inaugural Oak Tree at Hollywood Park meet Sept. 30.
Unzip Me shipped into Canada from Southern California and made easy work of the Aug. 2 Royal North (CAN-IIIT) at Woodbine, cruising to a two-length triumph under a hand ride from Joe Talamo.
Unzip Me dictated the pace en route to an easy win in the $100,000 Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the hillside turf course at Santa Anita April 11, earning her fourth consecutive win for trainer Marty Jones.
Now Victory, sent off at odds of 31-1, skipped away from the field at the start for jockey Frank Alvarado and never looked back, winning the $140,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the turf without a serious threat Sept. 22.
On Trust Handicap winner Hot Market had his final major prep Tuesday morning for Saturday's $150,000 San Pasqual Handicap (Gr. II) for older horses at 1 1/16 miles, going four furlongs in :48 flat at Santa Anita for trainer Craig Lewis.
Unlimited Value, who won the Cal Cup Sprint at Santa on Nov. 2, was euthanized this week after an unsuccessful attempt to save him following surgery for a broken right front pastern.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Speedway Stable Strikes Late for Malibu Moon Filly
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Stronach Group Supports Bill to Bring in USADA
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired