River Downs embarks on its 79th season of racing April 9 with numerous on-track promotions and a the redesignation of its top stakes as a grade III event.
River Downs, which has the longest continually sponsored stakes in the United States with the Miller Genuine Draft Cradle Stakes, has announced an extension of Pepsi Americas' sponsorship of the Pepsi Bassinet Stakes for another three years.
Trapped behind horses in the stretch, In Rome and jockey Jeff Johnson found room along the rail and edged on to win the $100,000 Pepsi Bassinet Stakes for 2-year-old filliess at River Downs Saturday.
The flurry of recent stakes sponsorships continued Thursday with the announcement that the $100,000 Bassinet Stakes for 2-year-old fillies at River Downs will be supported by Pepsi-Cola for at least three years. Last year's Bassinet was won by Caressing, who eventually was named champion 2-year-old filly of 2000.
Most Popular Stories
- Texas Tracks Prepare for Sept. 1 Shutdown
- American Pharoah to Parade at Del Mar
- Espinoza Fined for Wearing Promo Material
- Woodward Stakes Field Could Prove Intriguing
- The Day After: No Regrets From Team 'Pharoah'
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Zivo Returns Against NY-Breds at Spa
- Keen Ice Tired After Travers, 'Classic' Ahead
- Cuomo Authorizes Further 1% Share to NYTHA
- CTT Pledges Funds for Barn Surveillance