Ongoing, successful sports operations don't just get that way through the good fortune of chance. At the heart of achievement is the teamwork that melds individuals into a cohesive, powerful whole. Nowhere was this teamwork more in evidence than through this year's Triple Crown adventures of Point Given.
"Poor Pepe looked like a gerbil hanging on to a piece of PVC pipe," Bob Baffert said Saturday morning after Kentucky Derby favorite Point Given gave the trainer a scare following a routine gallop over the Churchill Downs surface. Baffert said Point Given came off the track, wheeled, and repeatedly reared straight up in the air, flailing his front legs, and causing exercise rider Pepe Aragon to hold on for dear life.
Most Popular Stories
- Longform: Long Live the Queen
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- For Joe Rocco Jr., It's All About the Horse
- Sire Tapit Closing in on Record Season
- Aktabantay Knocked Out of BC Juvenile Turf
- Asmussen Aims to Make Untapable Feel at Home
- Santa Anita Confident in New Dirt Surface
- TimeformUS Breeders' Cup Preview: Distaff
- Top Decile Under Radar for Juvenile Fillies
- Northern Cal Trainers On Cup's Center Stage