Ongoing, successful sports operations don't just get that way through the good fortune of chance. At the heart of achievement is the teamwork that melds individuals into a cohesive, powerful whole. Nowhere was this teamwork more in evidence than through this year's Triple Crown adventures of Point Given.
"Poor Pepe looked like a gerbil hanging on to a piece of PVC pipe," Bob Baffert said Saturday morning after Kentucky Derby favorite Point Given gave the trainer a scare following a routine gallop over the Churchill Downs surface. Baffert said Point Given came off the track, wheeled, and repeatedly reared straight up in the air, flailing his front legs, and causing exercise rider Pepe Aragon to hold on for dear life.
Most Popular Stories
- Barretts' First Del Mar Sale Sees Increase
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah
- Secretariat's Birthplace Named 'Historic'
- Lopez Family Faces Off at Golden Gate
- Old Friends Cabin Creek Welcomes Be Bullish
- American Pharoah Jogs One Mile at Churchill
- Miss Temple City on Schedule for Royal Ascot
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate
- MarketWatch: McPeek on Yearling Selection