Ninety-seven Pennsylvania-bred racehorses were entered in 10 races at Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course as part of "PA Owners Appreciation Day" June 22.
Parx Racing has increased the purse of the grade I Cotillion Stakes for 3-year-old fillies to $1 million and scheduled it on the same day as the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II) for 3-year-olds.
Quantum Miss set a new track record for six furlongs at Hollywood Casino at Penn National May 27 while Fabulous Strike finished fifth in another stakes on the program.
The Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association has released a 2009 stakes schedule of 27 events worth a total of $2.375 million.
Pennsylvania probably won't become a leader in terms of number of Thoroughbred foals bred each year, but its breeding program figures to give programs in the rest of the United States a serious run for their money.
Walter Downey's Pennsylvania-bred Fabulous Strike, an early favorite for last year's TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) before a lung infection put an early end to his season, has recovered and will return to the track for trainer Todd Beattie at his Hollywood Casino at Penn National base.
Most Popular Stories
- Veterinarian-Farrier Team Key to Managing Laminitic Horses
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale Posts Increases
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Multi-Breed Drug Uniformity No Easy Task