A victory in Peru June 22 earned Stud Couet's Valiant Emilia a starting berth in the $2 million Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) later this year at Santa Anita Park.
Everyone had been saying the field for the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) was evenly matched. Obviously Mike Battaglia, who makes the morning line at Churchill Downs, agreed.
Robert Baker and William Mack's Pegasus Wind, third in Belmont Park's Champagne (gr. I) in his most recent outing, continued to train strongly toward a scheduled run in the $2 million Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) as he worked a mile on Monday at Churchill Downs.
Scat Daddy gave trainer Todd Pletcher his record 93rd stakes victory in 2006 with a smart win over favored Nobiz Like Shobiz in the 135th running of the $400,000 Champagne (gr. I) for 2-year-olds at Belmont Park Saturday.
The formidable two-ply entry from Todd Pletcher lived up to its favorite status Monday as Michael and Dorean Tabor's homebred Circular Quay defeated stablemate Scat Daddy by 4 1/4 lengths in the grade I, $250,000 Hopeful for 2-year-olds at Saratoga.
Trainer Todd Pletcher has claimed his fifth consecutive Saratoga training title in 2006 and his sixth over the last eight years. But even with a wealth of top juveniles, he has yet to win the Hopeful (gr. I). Pletcher is hoping to end that streak Monday with Michael Tabor's Circular Quay or James Scatuorchio's Scat Daddy.
Circular Quay, an easy winner for trainer Todd Pletcher in his lone start, and unbeaten Chace City, the Steve Asmussen-trained winner of the $125,000 Victoria Stakes at Canada's Woodbine, head a field of eight horses entered for Saturday's $150,000-added Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Is Early Detection of Arthritis in Horses Finally a Reality?
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea
- Distinctiv Passion Rockets to Midnight Lute
- Ghost Bay Breaks Maiden in Maryland Juvenile