Oaks-winning owner offers tips for buyers. 'I'm not looking for the horse that has matured or has been pushed into maturity too quickly.'
By Byron Rogers - Of all the domesticated breeds, the Thoroughbred's lineage is by far the best recorded and most accurately detailed. It is a great testament to the American Stud Book, The Jockey Club, and the industry itself that we do have such records available to us to evaluate, purchase, and breed Thoroughbreds based on their pedigrees and the performance of their ancestors. It is something we have a right to be proud of.
Some stallions still remain who are an influence for stamina in the breeding program. A.P. Indy is one of these sires. His son, Friends Lake, is a major Derby contender this year, and can tackle the 1 1/4 mile distance with ease.
Buckram Oak Farm's homebred Eurosilver ranks high on most Kentucky Derby (gr. I) followers' lists, including the one compiled by The Blood-Horse's Steve Haskin, who has the son of Unbridled's Song No. 2 on his Derby Dozen.
When Arazi came to the 1992 Kentucky Derby (gr. I), it was his first appearance at Churchill Downs since winning the previous year's Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) at the Louisville track. He was the 4-5 favorite and was expected to play an important role in the first Saturday in May. He finished eighth that day, while Lil E. Tee earned the rose blanket.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong