Lenatareese, who has overcome wide trips to win both her turf starts, was one of nine 3-year-old fillies entered in Monday's $100,000-added Pebbles Handicap (gr. IIIT), the Columbus Day feature at Belmont Park.
Favored Betty's Wish, kept wide and out of trouble, gave jockey John Velazquez and most of the fans in the Columbus Day crowd of 7,186 the response they wanted Monday afternoon and drew off to win the $110,300 Pebbles Handicap (gr. IIIT) for 3-year fillies at nine furlongs on the "good" inner turf course.
Andover Lady didn't fire her best shot when a well-beaten sixth behind Indy Five Hundred in the Garden City Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT), but trainer John Kimmel may have found a good spot for her to rebound in Monday's $100,000-added Pebbles Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Belmont Park.
With Belmont Park's Fall Championship Meet winding down, local racing fans will see fewer Bobby Frankel trainees compete in a New York stakes race. But before Frankel's horses head west, three will compete in Monday's $100,000 Pebbles Handicap (gr. III) at 1 1/8 mile on a special Columbus Day card at Belmont Park.
Ten female turf specialists are entered for Saturday's Robert G. Dick Memorial Breeders' Cup Stakes at Delaware Park. Graham Motion, who has horses entered in the other two stakes on the same day, has the favorite in this race, New Economy.
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Chad Brown Fillies Vie for Florida Oaks