Both the Humane Society of the United States and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals voiced support for re-introduced legislation that would give USADA oversight of medication issues and drug testing in horse racing.
In re-introducing federal legislation that would give the United States Anti-Doping Agency oversight of medication issues and drug testing in horse racing, Congressmen Paul Tonko and Andy Barr emphasized the need for uniformity in medication rules.
Congressional Horse Caucus co-chairmen Andy Barr (R-Ky) and Paul Tonko (D-NY) April 21 announced plans to conduct a hearing to discuss a path forward for the Thoroughbred Horseracing Integrity Act of 2015.
Supporters of federal legislation that would give USADA oversight of drug testing in Thoroughbred racing will face opposition from lawmakers who have proposed legislation with seemingly similar goals in Washington.
A bipartisan bill introduced July 16 in the U.S. House of Representatives would see the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency create an independent organization for oversight of medication issues in horse racing.
Congressman Paul Tonko (D-NY) sent a letter to President Barack Obama July 14 asking the White House to hold an official ceremony honoring American Pharoah and the team that guided him to his historic Triple Crown.
Three members of Congress June 4 introduced legislation to regulate equine medication and drug testing--but it's not the same bill proposed by U.S. Rep. Paul Tonko of New York.
Congressmen Andy Barr (R-Ky.) and Paul Tonko (D-N.Y.) have been named co-chairs of the Congressional Horse Caucus in the 113th Congress. They replace Congressmen Dennis Cardoza (D-Cal.) and Brett Guthrie (R-Ky.).
Most Popular Stories
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Well-Placed Illuminant Shines in Monrovia
- Tapwrit Works Towards Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double
- Gormley Works for Possible Belmont Start