In a suit filed July 21 in Tallahassee, Fla., Hialeah Park and four other Quarter Horse permit holders are asking a state court to take away Calder Casino & Race Course's two Thoroughbred permits.
Florida's only harness track and several Thoroughbred industry executives are making plans for Quarter Horse racing, with potentially lucrative poker rooms serving as part of the attraction.
There may be more opportunities for Thoroughbreds to race in Florida in the coming years as at least one proposed Quarter Horse track has received a permit from the state, with a second such facility under consideration for similar licensing.
Bill Murphy has been appointed president and general manager of Gulfstream Park, Magna Entertainment Corp. announced Jan. 10.
- By Ryan Conley
Gulfstream Park Racing & Casino is moving forward with a plan for a second-phase of 700 slot machines, and has also secured a commitment of $1 million in partnered investment help from the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent & Protective Association, it was announced Dec. 22.
Florida's first slot machines were delivered to the new Gulfstream Park Racing and Casino Oct. 20.
Gulfstream Park said Oct. 13 it has received a gaming license from the state of Florida.
Paul Micucci has been named president and general manager of Gulfstream Park. Micucci joined Magna Entertainment Corp., Gulfstream Park's parent company, in March 2003.
Paul Micucci, vice president of the gaming division of Magna Entertainment Corp., has been named president and general manager of Gulfstream Park. He replaces Scott Savin, who had held those positions at Gulfstream since 2000.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Holy Bull Stakes Goal for Gunnevera
- Wall, McKay Named to Media Honor Roll
- Three Rules Being Considered for Swale Stakes
- Oxley Makes Pledge to Grayson-Jockey Club
- Top Global Runners Vie in Hong Kong Races
- Del Mar to Pay Out Consolations for Pick 6