It would be an understatement to say that Magical Fantasy heads the California contingent for the $2 million Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT) at Santa Anita Nov. 6. After four consecutive major stakes wins locally, three in grade I company, she's nearly all that's left.
Ridden patiently by Alex Solis, heavily favored Magical Fantasy captured her third consecutive grade I event when she overtook Visit mid-stretch and held off the late charge of Black Mamba to win Oak Tree's $300,000 Yellow Ribbon Stakes (gr. IT) at Santa Anita Oct. 10.
Magical Fantasy had much to do under Alex Solis to win the $250,000 Gamely Stakes (gr. IT), but she proved equal to the task, edging Visit and Diamond Diva in the final couple of jumps in a terrific finish at Hollywood Park May 30.
In spite of being blocked on the final turn, Magical Fantasy scored an incredibly close victory in the $200,000 Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT) over hard-luck Black Mamba, who lost this race by the barest of margins for the second straight year at Santa Anita April 18.
Magical Fantasy, the longest shot in the $350,000 Del Mar Oaks (gr. IT), registered 42-1 shocker with a big finishing kick for jockey Alex Solis on the turf Aug. 16.
Grade II winner Domestic Dispute, owned by David Bienstock, Paul Mandabach, and Chuck Winner, will retire at the end of the year and enter stud in 2005 at Northview Stallion Station near Chesapeake City, Md.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- The Week in Photos for 7/29/2014
- WGOH: Patience Is Shah's Virtue
- Prominent Sire Beau Genius Dies at 29
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Grade II Winners to Battle in WV Derby
- 'The Chief' in Florida Rather Than Saratoga
- Travers or Pennsylvania Derby Next for Bayern
- Wilkins to Direct Calumet Stallion Division
- R Free Roll Leads the Way in Honorable Miss