Cairo Prince could have just the right balance of stamina and speed to be a successful contender in the Kentucky Derby.
His slate-gray tail streaming behind him, Cairo Prince put on quite a show in the $400,000 Miller Lite Holy Bull Stakes (gr. II) Jan. 25 at Gulfstream Park, winning by 5 3/4 lengths over 10 other 3-year-olds.
Ive Struck a Nerve, the 135-1 upset winner of the Feb. 23 Risen Star Stakes (gr. II), sustained an ankle injury during a workout the morning of March 9 and is off the Triple Crown trail.
Soldat, a dual graded stakes winner by War Front, finished in the top two in eight of 12 starts and earned $622,760.
It's easy to see why his connections want to keep Soldat on turf after last year's Triple Crown contender scored an impressive comeback victory at Gulfstream Park March 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- WV Racing, Breeding Take 10% Revenue Hit
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream