A trainer who won her appeal of a 2008 ejection from Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races was ejected again by the same racetrack for an unrelated violation and has appealed that action.
Trainer Patty Burns, banned from Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races since early 2008, has won her appeal of the ejection.
The West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals refused March 30 to hear petitions by the West Virginia Racing Commission and three individuals who have been barred from Charles Town Races & Slots.
The West Virginia Racing Commission voted unanimously Dec. 7 to pursue an appeal of a ruling by a circuit court that said it can't conduct hearings into exclusion cases at Charles Town Races & Slots.
A West Virginia court has ruled the state racing commission is prohibited from conducting hearings on racetrack exclusions because it "lacks the authority to unilaterally reinstate an ejected permit-holder over the objection of a racing association."
No ruling was issued July 8 after a hearing in the ongoing exclusion case involving horsemen at Charles Town Races & Slots in West Virginia.
- By Tom LaMarra
The growth of casino-style gaming at racetracks has brought with it executives with little or no experience in horse racing, something horsemen said makes them more vulnerable to exclusionary practices.
The right of racetrack exclusion is being tested in West Virginia, where Charles Town Races & Slots is seeking to keep the state racing commission from holding hearings to consider granting three individuals reinstatement to the facility.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot