A trainer who won her appeal of a 2008 ejection from Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races was ejected again by the same racetrack for an unrelated violation and has appealed that action.
Trainer Patty Burns, banned from Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races since early 2008, has won her appeal of the ejection.
The West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals refused March 30 to hear petitions by the West Virginia Racing Commission and three individuals who have been barred from Charles Town Races & Slots.
The West Virginia Racing Commission voted unanimously Dec. 7 to pursue an appeal of a ruling by a circuit court that said it can't conduct hearings into exclusion cases at Charles Town Races & Slots.
A West Virginia court has ruled the state racing commission is prohibited from conducting hearings on racetrack exclusions because it "lacks the authority to unilaterally reinstate an ejected permit-holder over the objection of a racing association."
No ruling was issued July 8 after a hearing in the ongoing exclusion case involving horsemen at Charles Town Races & Slots in West Virginia.
- By Tom LaMarra
The growth of casino-style gaming at racetracks has brought with it executives with little or no experience in horse racing, something horsemen said makes them more vulnerable to exclusionary practices.
The right of racetrack exclusion is being tested in West Virginia, where Charles Town Races & Slots is seeking to keep the state racing commission from holding hearings to consider granting three individuals reinstatement to the facility.
Most Popular Stories
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Ashleyluvssugar, Texas Ryano Reunite in San Luis Rey
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala