Michael Tabor's Excited stalked the pace before taking control nearing the eighth pole and edged away for a half-length victory in the Virginia Oaks (gr. IIIT) at Colonial Downs July 16.
Jacqui's Promise, making her second start since June, has an opportunity to upset the field in Friday night's overfilled Violet Stakes (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the Meadowlands turf course.
With five of the 13 runners entered for Saturday's grade III, $150,000 Noble Damsel for fillies and mares at a mile on Belmont Park's turf exiting divisions of the Aug. 29 De La Rose at Saratoga, figuring out which horses were best in the De La Rose should lead handicappers in the right direction.
Australian sensation Alinghi makes her first North American start against a tough field of 11 other horses in the $200,000-added Ballston Spa Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles on the turf.
Briviesca leads a talented field of 14 fillies and mares pointed toward Saturday's $200,000 All Along Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT), going 1 1/8 miles at Colonial Downs.
Grade I winner Film Maker makes her first start since a dynamite runner-up showing in last fall's Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT) when she faces eight rivals in the $100,000 Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Pimlico Saturday.
The Ogden Mills Phipps-homebred filly Daydreaming will be making her first start of the year when she leads a field of six fillies and mares, including the top three finishers in Banshee Breeze Handicap, in Saturday's $100,000 Sabin Handicap (gr. III) going 1 1/8 miles over the main track at Gulfstream Park.
Most Popular Stories
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- New Standards May Be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff