Patchen Wilkes Farm near Lexington, Ky. has been home to 13 white foals since 1995. The latest addition came during Super Bowl 51 when Beautiful Devil produced a white filly by Revolutionary at 10:15 p.m. Feb. 5.
Get to know the stunning white foal that Patchen Wilkes Farm welcomed on Super Bowl Sunday. Though white Thoroughbreds are rare, Patchen Wilkes specializes in breeding and raising white racehorses in Lexington, Ky. Courtesy America's Best Racing
Dam of 2012 Horse of the Year Wise Dan in Lexington on April 24, 2013, with commentary by farm manager Barry Ezrine. Watch Video
It doesn't happen very often but Jan. 18 at Turfway Park, a white horse was led into the winner's circle when Patchen Prince broke his maiden in the last race on the card.
Love From Mom, a multiple stakes producer for Irving and Marge Cowan, was euthanized in mid-February at Hagyard Equine Medical Institute near Lexington.
Brave Raj, who was champion 2-year-old filly of 1986, was euthanized Jan. 28 after aborting a Gulch filly a week earlier.
The White Fox, one of only 17 pure white Thoroughbreds that have ever been registered in the 300 years of recorded Thoroughbred breeding, finished third in his career debut as the 9-10 favorite in Sunday's first race at River Downs.
Patchen Beauty, a white mare and granddaughter of White Beauty, foaled a white Skip Away filly Feb. 8 at Warren Rosenthal's Patchen Wilkes Farm near Lexington.
Commercial breeders in Kentucky are in no hurry to book their mares for the 2002 breeding season. Tough economic times, falling prices for sale horses, and the uncertainty caused by war and terrorism are making them approach the future cautiously. Many also feel there is no need to rush because there are so many stallions standing in the Bluegrass.
Most Popular Stories
- Phipps, Gaines, Winn Named 2017 Pillars of the Turf
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Laurel Stakes Schedule Features $1.6 Million in Purses
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million
- Agent O'Neill Bullish on Stallion Orb
- Phipps Family to Receive Inaugural Dinny Phipps Award
- McCraken Back on Work Tab After Derby Disappointment
- Thunder Snow, Churchill Face Off in Irish 2,000 Guineas
- What's Going On Here: The Pay Off