Lori and George Hall's Atomic Rain and Jayeff B Stable's Chef are prominent in a field of eight 3-year-olds entered in a 1 1/8-mile allowance feature at Gulfstream Park March 6, a race almost certain to yield a contender or two for the $750,000 Florida Derby (gr. I) to be run over the track and distance on March 28.
Surely trainer Pat Reynolds will be experiencing the feeling of "what could have been" when he watches the freakishly talented Big Brown run May 3 in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr.I) at Churchill Downs. Reynolds, 57, trained Big Brown early in his 2-year-old season.
Valid Notebook owns an edge in the $100,000-added Discovery Handicap (gr. III) when Aqueduct opens its 45-day fall meeting Wednesday - if for no other reason than the fact that he won't be facing Discreet Cat.
A field of eight horses, including grade I winners Peeping Tom and Valid Video, has been drawn for the $200,000 James B. Moseley Breeders' Cup Handicap on the MassCap undercard.
Chalk players could receive an early Christmas present from trainer Scott Lake, who entered his sensational sprinter Shake You Down in Sunday's $100,000 Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) at six furlongs.
Everyone entered in Saturday's 1 1/8-mile $75,000-added Stymie Handicap at Aqueduct have to fight off a snake that has not let go of his prey since August. Snake Mountain, owned by Berkshire Stud, will go for his fifth consecutive victory and his fourth straight stakes score.
Eleven months after William Beatson Jr.'s Wilzada debuted impressively in an Aqueduct maiden special weight, the daughter of Meadowlake returns as the horse to beat in Wednesday's $75,000-added Interborough.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- OwnerView to Host October Ownership Seminar
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- OH Panel to New Track: No Tellers, No Permit
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Close to VLT Agreements