The Factor will face five older horses in the seven-furlong Pat O'Brien (gr. I) as he makes his first start in more than four months on Sunday, Aug. 28, at Del Mar.
The $1-million, grade I Pacific Classic will be repositioned to Labor Day weekend as the highlight of the 70th season of racing at Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, which will offer 31 stakes with purses totaling nearly $7 million. The meet begins Wednesday, July 22 and runs through Wednesday, Sept. 9.
After his upset win in Del Mar's Bing Crosby Handicap (gr. I) on July 30, Pure as Gold makes a surprisingly quick return to the seaside for trainer Jack Carava in the $300,000 Pat O'Brien Handicap (gr. II) Sunday.
He made a splash as the conditioner of the 2002 Eclipse Award-winning filly Farda Amiga. Now Brazilian trainer Paulo Lobo has what could be the nation's top sprinter in Pico Central, who competes in the Pat O'Brien Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at Del Mar Sunday.
Pleasantly Perfect, winner of the Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) and second in his comeback effort, the San Diego Handicap (gr. II) on Aug. 1, remains atop the National Thoroughbred Racing Association's Top 10 poll released on Tuesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29