Gary Tanaka's grade I winner Passinetti is back in training after a second lengthy layoff and the 9-year-old gelding is less than two weeks away from racing, according to trainer Ben Cecil.
Gary Tanaka's grade I winner Passinetti has returned to trainer Ben Cecil's Santa Anita base after several months at a nearby farm and will aim at a defense of his title in the $400,000 San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IT) at the end of the meeting on Apr. 18.
Gary Tanaka's San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IT) winner Passinetti has been taken out of training and will be rested for an indefinite amount of time, trainer Ben Cecil said. The 7-year-old gelding re-injured the same tendon that kept him out of training for three years.
San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IT) winner Passinetti will likely make his next start in the $350,000 Charles H. Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park, trainer Ben Cecil said. The 7-year-old gelding worked five furlongs in 1:02 2/5 handily over the firm turf at Hollywood on Sunday.
Gary Tanaka's Golden Apples had her first recorded work since being crowned last year's filly and mare turf champion, logging three furlongs in :37 2/5 breezing Sunday over Hollywood Park's firm turf course.
Gary Tanaka's Passinetti, a 7-year-old gelding who had been turned out for more than three years and was nearly given away to become a riding horse, became racing's resurrection story of this Easter season Sunday by winning the $400,000 San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IT) at Santa Anita.
Irish-bred Century City, the longest shot on the board after a dismal performance at Fair Grounds two weeks ago, tallied a neck victory in a frantic finish to Sunday's $150,000 Arcadia Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Santa Anita turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night