If races were being run on the turf at Belmont Park today, track superintendent John Passero said the courses would be listed as yielding.
There was quite a thunderstorm on Long Island Saturday night. The site of the Oct. 29 Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships was hit with loud thunder and bolts of lightning accompanied by an inch of rain.
The New York Racing Association announced Friday that John Passero has been named track superintendent at Aqueduct, Belmont Park and Saratoga.
A sloppy surface was just what the connections of Miss Grindstone ordered, helping the 5-year-old mare capture Sunday's $164,250 Bessarabian Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine, her fourth win in as many starts on an off track.
- By Tom Keyser
Less than six weeks from the scheduled reopening of Laurel Park on Dec. 26, track officials told the Maryland Racing Commission Tuesday (Nov. 16) that they still cannot guarantee the reconstructed dirt surface will be ready for racing.
Fort Erie in Ontario will construct a new one-mile main track at the conclusion of this year's live meet Sept. 6.
Pimlico track superintendent John Passero said he is confident the racing surface will be fast Saturday for the middle leg of the Triple Crown. "If the rain stops," Passero said Friday.
The Maryland Jockey Club announced Friday a reorganization of its executive board, including the hiring of Louis J. Raffetto, who will become the MJC's chief operating officer effective Jan. 1, 2001. The MJC also announced new titles and responsibilities for three current members of its board.
Most Popular Stories
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- CHRB Discusses Cutting Back Racing Dates
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- Proctor's Ledge Makes Splash in Lake George
- Saratoga Opening Day Sees Handle Increase
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap