Favored Za Approval, runner-up in last year's Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), broke through with his first win of 2014 when he led gate-to-wire to capture the $98,000 Real Courage Stakes on the Belmont Park turf Sept. 7.
Homebred Nikki's Sandcastle made a strong run on the final turn of the $150,000 Hanshin Cup Stakes (gr. III), and that move carried him to a determined victory May 24 at Arlington Park.
William Stiriz's 5-year-old gelding Hogy will have his work cut out for him when he attempts to defend his title in the Hanshin Cup (gr. III) at Arlington Park against 13 capable challengers.
Former claimer Delaunay increased his win streak to six when he swept past Trinniberg at the head of the stretch and prevailed by an easy four lengths over a sloppy track in the May 4 Churchill Downs Stakes (gr. II).
Champion sprinter Trinniberg heads a strong field for the 79th running of the $400,000 Churchill Downs Stakes (gr. II) to be run May 4 at the Louisville track.
Proven over the Arlington Park turf course this year, grade II winner Willcox Inn switches Illinois venues to Hawthorne Racecourse for the first time in the $200,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) Sponsored by TVG Oct. 15.
Most Popular Stories
- Carpe Diem Back at Keeneland for Blue Grass
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 31, 2015
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail
- Stallion Sharp Humor Dies in South Korea
- Suffolk Expected to Apply for 2015 Live Dates
- Undrafted Opens Season in Shakertown
- Kobe's Back Returns East for Commonwealth
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- Judy the Beauty Heads Busy Work Tab for Ward