Robert Butcher, director of pari-mutuels at Keeneland, returned to the University of Arizona Feb. 9 to serve as a guest lecturer in the Race Track Industry Program. Butcher, an alumnus of the Race Track Industry Program, completed his studies in 1999.
- By Tom LaMarra
The task force formed to look at why handle is up but purses are down ended up producing a report that tackles other issues such as disclosure of information from wagering outlets, technological limitations in tote systems, and the need for a secure database of wagering information.
California officials are considering a wager that taps into the bettor's natural inclination to "beat the favorite."
The congressional caucus for the horse racing industry was scheduled to hold its first meeting of the year March 6 in Washington, D.C. Among the issues on the table is the 2001 Farm Bill, which was in conference committee as of March 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment