Robert Butcher, director of pari-mutuels at Keeneland, returned to the University of Arizona Feb. 9 to serve as a guest lecturer in the Race Track Industry Program. Butcher, an alumnus of the Race Track Industry Program, completed his studies in 1999.
The task force formed to look at why handle is up but purses are down ended up producing a report that tackles other issues such as disclosure of information from wagering outlets, technological limitations in tote systems, and the need for a secure database of wagering information.
California officials are considering a wager that taps into the bettor's natural inclination to "beat the favorite."
The congressional caucus for the horse racing industry was scheduled to hold its first meeting of the year March 6 in Washington, D.C. Among the issues on the table is the 2001 Farm Bill, which was in conference committee as of March 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Stronach Group Names Vet O'Neil to Key Post
- Tom Amoss Secures 3,000th Training Victory
- Kingman Wins Sussex with Dazzling Late Speed
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Thoroughbred Marketplace at Pimlico Oct. 4-5
- Federal Judge Dismisses Dutrow Lawsuit
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- CDI Gets 5-Year Contract with Saratoga Casino