Churchill Downs reported a 1.08% increase in all-sources wagering for this year's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) program May 3, but an overall 1.81% decrease in total pari-mutuel handle for the six days that make up Derby week.
Northlands Park in Alberta, Canada, begins its meet May 2 with pari-mutuel takeout rates it says are the lowest in North America.
The Horseplayers Association of North America has re-released its 2014 HANA Racetrack Ratings in the wake of a decision by Churchill Downs to increase pari-mutuel takeout rates to the maximum permitted by state statute.
In what it says is an effort to maintain daily purses and its stakes schedule, Churchill Downs plans to increase its takeout rate on win, place, and show bets as well as exotic wagers in 2014.
A New Jersey Senate committee Dec. 9 approved legislation that would authorize historical race wagering, also known as Instant Racing, at the state's racetracks, off-track wagering parlors, and casino race books.
Pari-mutuel takeout rates and other issues were discussed during a lightly attended meeting of the New York State Racing Fan Advisory Council Oct. 19 at Belmont Park.
Former New York Racing Association president and chief executive officer Charles Hayward said Jan. 24 he wants the association to meet its obligations in the wake of his being fired last year.
The New York Racing Fan Advisory Council has released its formal recommendations for ways to improve horse racing in the state, and at the top of the list is lower pari-mutuel takeout.
- By Tom LaMarra
Here are 10 off-the-wall predictions for 2011. The way things go in horse racing, there's probably a chance one or two of them will come to fruition. Read Blog
Most Popular Stories
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Secret Circle, Itsmyluckyday in Cigar Mile
- Cary Street Leads 11 in Hawthorne Gold Cup
- Lord Nelson Could Rule Kentucky Jockey Club
- Speedy Cassatt Dusts Rivals in Zia Park Oaks
- Churchill Proposes Derby Bet on Winning Sire
- Unbeaten Dame Dorothy Can Cap Year in Comely
- Derby Winners Have Enjoyed Turf Success
- Romans Likes Added Distance for Remsen Pair
- Sageburg Will Stand in Ireland in 2015