Michael Straight, paralyzed in a riding accident five years ago, takes time to talk with Claire Novak about his recent progress walking with a bionic exoskeleton and participating in research at Florida's Miami Project.
Citing the paralyzing injuries suffered by a rider in a recent Quarter Horse race at Turf Paradise, the Jockeys' Guild is calling on all tracks to put in place $1 million in catastrophic injury coverage.
Jockey Anne Von Rosen will undergo a second surgery following a March 11 spill in a Quarter Horse race at Turf Paradise in which Von Rosen suffered a serious spinal injury.
Assistant trainer Robin Cleary, who was paralyzed in an accident at Calder Race Course in 1996, will be celebrated May 30 at Calder's Turf Club for raising more than $1 million for The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis' spinal-cord injury research programs.
Most Popular Stories
- Espinoza Fined for Wearing Promo Material
- Texas Commission Gets Three-Month Reprieve
- Woodward Stakes Field Could Prove Intriguing
- American Pharoah to Parade at Del Mar
- Cuomo Authorizes Further 1% Share to NYTHA
- Calumet to Sponsor KY Downs Juvenile Stakes
- 375 Cataloged for F-T Midlantic Fall Sale
- The Day After: No Regrets From Team 'Pharoah'
- Travers Overnight Rating Best Since 2004
- Wally's Choice Among Four for Canterbury HOF