The owners of champion mare Intercontinental and those who ran behind her in last September's $200,000 Palomar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) at Del Mar argued in front of three California stewards June 5 whether the winner's share of the Palomar purse should be redistributed.
Former trainer David Loder, acting for an undisclosed client, topped Tattersalls' Autumn Horses In Training Sale in Newmarket Wednesday when paying 360,000 guineas for 2-year-old Kilworth (Ire), who had finished runner-up in the Royal Lodge Stakes (Eng-II) at Newmarket.
Millionaires Intercontinental and Ticker Tape and horse-for-the-course Amorama headline a field of six for Saturday's $200,000 Palomar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at 1 1/16 miles on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course.
The field is small but mighty for Sunday's grade II, $200,000 Palomar Handicap for fillies and mares 3 years old and up going 1 1/16 miles on the turf.
Tranquility Lake will miss Saturday's Ramona Handicap (gr. IT) due to a fever. The 5-year-old mare was expected to be the favorite and highweight for the nine-furlong race at Del Mar, but she apparently suffered a spider bite and became ill.
Most Popular Stories
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Futura Powerful J&B Met Winner at Kenilworth
- Complete List of Triple Crown Nominees
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Far Right Works, Confirmed for Southwest
- Leave the Light On Off Derby Trail
- The Legacy of Gone West
- KY Derby Winner Thunder Gulch Pensioned at 23
- Honor Code, Top Billing Near 4YO Debuts
- Withers Favorite El Kabeir Breezes at Belmont