Ridden by Norberto Arroyo Jr., Steven Peskoff's Coined For Success made every pole a winning one on his way to posting an upset victory in the $75,000 Nick Shuk Memorial Stakes at Delaware Park today.
Jockey Ryan Fogelsonger and Water Cannon caught frontrunning filly Pawyne Princess just yards from the wire to win the $100,000 Federico Tesio Stakes Saturday at Pimlico.
Eight 3-year-olds, including a filly, are set to square off in the April 17 Federico Tesio Stakes at Pimlico Race Course. The Tesio could prove more of an indicator of horses that may compete in the May 15 Preakness Stakes (gr. I), also held at the Maryland racetrack.
Laurel Futurity (gr. III) winner Tapit had his first work since arriving at Palm Meadows training center, breezing an easy 7 furlongs in 1:30 3/5 Tuesday. Trainer Michael Dickinson still has not finalized plans as to when Tapit will make his 3-year-old debut.
This is the fifth in a series of early looks at next year's potential Derby horses. The new-look Team Valor is thinking Derby with Tiger Hunt and two European imports. In Maryland, Michael Dickinson embarks on his first Derby adventure with a pair of talented colts.
With odds-on favorite Value Plus eliminated at the start, Klaravich Stables' front-running Read the Footnotes, ridden by Jerry Bailey, pulled away from Paddington in the stretch to win Sunday's $113,100 Nashua Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-olds at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Curalina Opens Year with La Troienne Win
- Derby Observations, Strategy, and Wagers
- Carina Mia Wins Eight Belles at 3-5
- Routine, Quiet Oaks Morning on Backside
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Derby by the Speed Numbers
- NBC Offers Virtual Kentucky Derby Experience
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'