Ridden by Norberto Arroyo Jr., Steven Peskoff's Coined For Success made every pole a winning one on his way to posting an upset victory in the $75,000 Nick Shuk Memorial Stakes at Delaware Park today.
Jockey Ryan Fogelsonger and Water Cannon caught frontrunning filly Pawyne Princess just yards from the wire to win the $100,000 Federico Tesio Stakes Saturday at Pimlico.
Eight 3-year-olds, including a filly, are set to square off in the April 17 Federico Tesio Stakes at Pimlico Race Course. The Tesio could prove more of an indicator of horses that may compete in the May 15 Preakness Stakes (gr. I), also held at the Maryland racetrack.
Laurel Futurity (gr. III) winner Tapit had his first work since arriving at Palm Meadows training center, breezing an easy 7 furlongs in 1:30 3/5 Tuesday. Trainer Michael Dickinson still has not finalized plans as to when Tapit will make his 3-year-old debut.
This is the fifth in a series of early looks at next year's potential Derby horses. The new-look Team Valor is thinking Derby with Tiger Hunt and two European imports. In Maryland, Michael Dickinson embarks on his first Derby adventure with a pair of talented colts.
With odds-on favorite Value Plus eliminated at the start, Klaravich Stables' front-running Read the Footnotes, ridden by Jerry Bailey, pulled away from Paddington in the stretch to win Sunday's $113,100 Nashua Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-olds at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Gimme Da Lute Holds On in Los Alamitos Derby
- Alliseeisgold Wires Cleveland Gold Cup
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- Private Zone All the Way in Belmont Sprint
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- No Positives in June 2015 Economic Indicators
- Speightster Still Undefeated With Dwyer Win
- Coffee Clique Proves Best in James Penny