Cape Royale led all the way to win the $150,000 Darley Ocala Breeders' Sale Championship for 3-year-old colts and geldings by 1 1/4 lengths Feb. 16. The race was the richest of five stakes held at the Ocala Training Center.
Four graduates and five second-year students from the North American Racing Academy lined up for an exhibition race at Turfway Park in Kentucky Sept. 27, with Matthew Straight, a member of the academy's 2008 inaugural graduating class, getting the win aboard Pointing Home.
Odds-on choice Jonesboro edged away from Smokeyjonessutton through the homestretch to post a 1 3/4-length win in the $151,500 Tiznow Handicap at Louisiana Downs Sept. 20, earning a berth in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile in the process. The Tiznow was one of five six-figure stakes on the Super Derby undercard.
The Apple Blossom Stakes (gr. I) winner will be bred to A.P. Indy this year.
Arthur and Stephanie Preston's Ermine rallied four wide under Eddie Castro to win the $500,000 Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I) going away by 1 1/4 lengths before a crowd of 26,003 on Saturday afternoon at Oaklawn Park.
Oxbow Racing's Ermine held off Joint Effort in a stiff stretch battle to win the $330,300 Falls City Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares on the Thanksgiving Day program at Churchill Downs Thursday.
Ermine and Press Camp both turned in Thursday works for a start in the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) May 5. Ermine worked at Churchill Downs while Press Camp worked at her Bay Meadows base.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Three Rules Being Considered for Swale Stakes
- Holy Bull Stakes Goal for Gunnevera
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Pari-Mutuel Daily Fantasy Game Launches
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience