The overnight television rating for the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), which produced the first Triple Crown winner in 37 years in American Pharoah, was down slightly from last year, according to The Nielsen Company.
Viewers tuning in to see if Orb could continue his Triple Crown run in the Preakness moved overnight ratings up for the Preakness during NBC's coverage of the second jewel of the Triple Crown May 18.
NBC reported overnight ratings for this year's Preakness that were slightly off last year's Barbaro Preakness numbers, but were still relatively strong for the second jewel of the Triple Crown.
NBC Sports' broadcast of Giacomo's surprise win at the 131st running of the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) notched an 8.2 overnight rating and 19 share, slightly down from an 8.3 rating in 2001, 2003, and 2004.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Dodd's Tiznow Colt Attracting Attention at OBS
- Record Purses, Increased Handle at Oaklawn Park
- Ten Off-Track Thoroughbreds Expected for Rolex Kentucky
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program