The overnight television rating for the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), which produced the first Triple Crown winner in 37 years in American Pharoah, was down slightly from last year, according to The Nielsen Company.
Viewers tuning in to see if Orb could continue his Triple Crown run in the Preakness moved overnight ratings up for the Preakness during NBC's coverage of the second jewel of the Triple Crown May 18.
NBC reported overnight ratings for this year's Preakness that were slightly off last year's Barbaro Preakness numbers, but were still relatively strong for the second jewel of the Triple Crown.
NBC Sports' broadcast of Giacomo's surprise win at the 131st running of the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) notched an 8.2 overnight rating and 19 share, slightly down from an 8.3 rating in 2001, 2003, and 2004.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx