The overnight television rating for the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), which produced the first Triple Crown winner in 37 years in American Pharoah, was down slightly from last year, according to The Nielsen Company.
Viewers tuning in to see if Orb could continue his Triple Crown run in the Preakness moved overnight ratings up for the Preakness during NBC's coverage of the second jewel of the Triple Crown May 18.
NBC reported overnight ratings for this year's Preakness that were slightly off last year's Barbaro Preakness numbers, but were still relatively strong for the second jewel of the Triple Crown.
NBC Sports' broadcast of Giacomo's surprise win at the 131st running of the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) notched an 8.2 overnight rating and 19 share, slightly down from an 8.3 rating in 2001, 2003, and 2004.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Mshawish Tops Taylor Made Roster, For Now
- Orb Colt Tops Fasig-Tipton Second Session
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Handy Work at Remington for Texas Chrome
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Twilight Son to Cheveley Park in 2017
- Malibu Moon, Tapit Colts Could Shine at F-T