Overdriven, a grade II-winning son of Tale of the Cat, sired his first reported foal when a colt was born Jan. 12 at J. Michael O'Farrell Jr.'s Ocala Stud near Ocala.
Repole Stable's Overdriven, an undefeated 2-year-old in 2011 and dominant winner of the Sanford Stakes (gr. II) at Saratoga Race Course, has been retired from racing and will stand the 2013 breeding season at Ocala Stud.
Mike Repole is taking the son of Street Cry to the $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. III), where he will try to gain a berth in the May 5 Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
With Uncle Mo retired, Stay Thirsty is now the top gun in Mike Repole's stable. And after a championship-caliber 3-year-old season in 2011, there are high expectations for the son of Bernardini next year.
Sanford (gr. II) winner Overdriven will undergo tests following the cancellation of Thursday morning's scheduled breeze, trainer Todd Pletcher said.
Overdriven follows Uncle Mo as a standout 2-year-old for owner Mike Repole. The Tale of the Cat colt's pedigree offers many clues to how he'll develop as a runner.
This week is devoted to Saratoga and Del Mar. View Slideshow
Trainer Todd Pletcher says he's not comparing new stable star Overdriven to last year's champion 2-year-old colt Uncle Mo. But he may have trouble keeping others from doing so after an easy win in the Sanford Stakes July 24.
Todd Pletcher, who has won three of the last seven editions of the Sanford (gr. II), will have another strong chance when he sends out impressive maiden winner Overdriven July 24 at Saratoga.
Most Popular Stories
- Thoroughbred Makeover is Bigger, Interactive
- Trainers O'Neill, Levine Suspended and Fined
- Wise Dan Faces Stiff Shadwell Turf Mile Test
- Jacks or Better Loaded in Florida Sire Stakes
- Winners Named in TCA Youth Essay Contest
- Will Wise Dan Win Again in Shadwell Turf Mile
- How to Manage a Collapsed Foal
- Cup Winners Secret Circle, Goldencents Clash
- Wicked Strong to Sit Out Rest of Year
- Champagne Stakes is Next Step for I Spent It