Pletcher secured his second straight Eclipse as outstanding trainer in ceremonies Saturday, Jan. 17 at Gulfstream Park and his seventh outstanding trainer award overall.
- By Jack Shinar
- Racing, Breeders' Cup, Triple Crown, Northeast Region, Southeast Region, West Region, Kentucky
Voters brought out the heavyweights for the 2013 Outstanding Trainer category, with finalists Todd Pletcher, Bob Baffert, and Bill Mott combining for 11 previous Eclipse Awards.
There are grade I races and there are grade I races--the races trainers see themselves winning in the most pleasant of dreams. In knocking down several races from the latter category, Dale Romans won his first Eclipse Award.
Trainer Bill Mott saved the best for last in 2011, and it helped him capture his third Eclipse Award as outstanding trainer in a tight race.
Winning Eclipse Awards is nothing new for Todd Pletcher. The 43-year-old Dallas, Texas, native was honored as the nation's outstanding trainer for four consecutive years, from 2004-2007, and again in 2010.
Most Popular Stories
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot
- Unbeaten Materiality Secures Florida Derby
- International Star Sweeps to LA Derby Score
- I'm a Chatterbox Notches Easy FG Oaks Victory
- Birdatthewire Tops Familiar Rivals in GP Oaks
- Dortmund Logs Final Work for SA Derby
- Dubai World Cup 2015: Al Quoz Sprint
- Dubai World Cup Video Recap