Successfully managing American Pharoah's Triple Crown sweep and Breeders' Cup Classic was a transcendent season in the sport of Thoroughbred racing, and Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert was rewarded with his fourth Eclipse.
Pletcher secured his second straight Eclipse as outstanding trainer in ceremonies Saturday, Jan. 17 at Gulfstream Park and his seventh outstanding trainer award overall.
- By Jack Shinar
- Thoroughbred Racing, Breeders' Cup, Triple Crown, Northeast Region, Southeast Region, West Region, Kentucky
Voters brought out the heavyweights for the 2013 Outstanding Trainer category, with finalists Todd Pletcher, Bob Baffert, and Bill Mott combining for 11 previous Eclipse Awards.
There are grade I races and there are grade I races--the races trainers see themselves winning in the most pleasant of dreams. In knocking down several races from the latter category, Dale Romans won his first Eclipse Award.
Trainer Bill Mott saved the best for last in 2011, and it helped him capture his third Eclipse Award as outstanding trainer in a tight race.
Winning Eclipse Awards is nothing new for Todd Pletcher. The 43-year-old Dallas, Texas, native was honored as the nation's outstanding trainer for four consecutive years, from 2004-2007, and again in 2010.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment