Successfully managing American Pharoah's Triple Crown sweep and Breeders' Cup Classic was a transcendent season in the sport of Thoroughbred racing, and Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert was rewarded with his fourth Eclipse.
Pletcher secured his second straight Eclipse as outstanding trainer in ceremonies Saturday, Jan. 17 at Gulfstream Park and his seventh outstanding trainer award overall.
- By Jack Shinar
- Thoroughbred Racing, Breeders' Cup, Triple Crown, Northeast Region, Southeast Region, West Region, Kentucky
Voters brought out the heavyweights for the 2013 Outstanding Trainer category, with finalists Todd Pletcher, Bob Baffert, and Bill Mott combining for 11 previous Eclipse Awards.
There are grade I races and there are grade I races--the races trainers see themselves winning in the most pleasant of dreams. In knocking down several races from the latter category, Dale Romans won his first Eclipse Award.
Trainer Bill Mott saved the best for last in 2011, and it helped him capture his third Eclipse Award as outstanding trainer in a tight race.
Winning Eclipse Awards is nothing new for Todd Pletcher. The 43-year-old Dallas, Texas, native was honored as the nation's outstanding trainer for four consecutive years, from 2004-2007, and again in 2010.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Runhappy in Final Drill for Return
- 'Chrome' Logs Final Work for Awesome Again
- Accelerate Finds Just Enough in Los Al Derby
- Miyadi Arrested After Altercation With Solis
- Lexie Lou Officially Retired
- Senor Guitar First Winner for Star Guitar
- Deeply Undervalued Wins Commonwealth Derby
- Brave Anna Upsets Cheveley Park Stakes