Seattle Smooth wore down Seventh Street in the homestretch to win the Ogden Phipps Handicap (gr. I) for her first grade I victory June 13 at Belmont Park.
Even-money favorite Seattle Smooth took over coming off the turn and rolled to a dominating 5 3/4-length victory in a scratch-filled running of the $142,500 Bed o' Roses Handicap (gr. II) April 18 at Aqueduct.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Four of Starsburg's top progeny were sired by Mr. Prospector-line stallions, so going back to this sire line when choosing a mate for Starsburg's unraced daughter Our Seattle Slew seemed like the right move. It was, having produced Seattle Smooth, who beat the top-rated sophomore filly Proud Spell in the Fitz Dixon Cotillion Stakes (gr. II).
Most Popular Stories
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Noble Bird May Start in Pegasus
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- California Chrome Focused in Penultimate Move
- New York trainer/breeder DiSanto Dies at 62
- Lockdown Cruises in Busanda Win
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- High Profile Fillies in Fair Grounds Stakes