Odds-on choice Dortmund, passed in upper stretch by rival Firing Line, fought back along the inside to score a head victory in the $150,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 7 at Santa Anita Park.
Dortmund is the second Big Brown stakes winner to feature inbreeding to Boundary's sire, Danzig.
Dortmund, winner of the Los Alamitos Futurity (gr. I) and early favorite for the 2015 classics, was an oversized youngster who was difficult to get sold, according to breeder Emilie Fojan.
Odds-on choice Dortmund remained unbeaten by a slim margin as he nipped Firing Line and Mr. Z in a nail-biting finish to the first-ever $500,000 Los Alamitos Futurity (gr. I) Dec. 20.
Trainer Dallas Stewart played a hot hand Sunday at Keeneland when he wheeled back Molto Vita after only a week's rest to take the $125,000 Thoroughbred Club of America (gr. III) for fillies and mares.
Carl F. Pollard's My Trusty Cat is the one to beat when she faces five other fillies and mares in the six-furlong, $125,000 Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes (gr. III) Sunday at Keeneland.
Carl F. Pollard's My Trusty Cat made a last-to-first rally to win the $175,000 Chicago Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares by 1 ¾ lengths over Our Josephina on Saturday at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Mubtaahij the X Factor in Kentucky Derby
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Efforts Continue to Identify At-Risk Horses
- Median Rises at OBS Spring Sale Opener
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for April 21, 2015
- Motion to Send out Kitten's Point in Bewitch
- Mubtaahij Works Three Furlongs at Arlington
- Derby: War Story, Mr. Z to Breeze Wednesday
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- 'Quisqueyano' Aims for Graded Win in TX Mile