This year Louisiana Derby (gr. II) winner International Star and Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Dortmund will try to add their sires to the list of Derby winners who have sired Derby winners.
Odds-on choice Dortmund, passed in upper stretch by rival Firing Line, fought back along the inside to score a head victory in the $150,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 7 at Santa Anita Park.
Dortmund is the second Big Brown stakes winner to feature inbreeding to Boundary's sire, Danzig.
Dortmund, winner of the Los Alamitos Futurity (gr. I) and early favorite for the 2015 classics, was an oversized youngster who was difficult to get sold, according to breeder Emilie Fojan.
Odds-on choice Dortmund remained unbeaten by a slim margin as he nipped Firing Line and Mr. Z in a nail-biting finish to the first-ever $500,000 Los Alamitos Futurity (gr. I) Dec. 20.
Trainer Dallas Stewart played a hot hand Sunday at Keeneland when he wheeled back Molto Vita after only a week's rest to take the $125,000 Thoroughbred Club of America (gr. III) for fillies and mares.
Carl F. Pollard's My Trusty Cat is the one to beat when she faces five other fillies and mares in the six-furlong, $125,000 Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes (gr. III) Sunday at Keeneland.
Carl F. Pollard's My Trusty Cat made a last-to-first rally to win the $175,000 Chicago Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares by 1 ¾ lengths over Our Josephina on Saturday at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Derby Winner Materiality Dies
- Ectot Stuns Flintshire in Hirsch Turf Classic
- Tom’s Ready Wins Ack Ack; Runhappy Fourth
- Forever Unbridled Cruises in the Beldame
- Joking Gets First Grade I Win in Vosburgh
- Bullet Train Gets First Stakes Winner
- Paulassilverlining Takes Muddy Gallant Bloom
- Leading Jockey Gallardo Heads to New York
- Yoshida Goes to Record Price at Arc Sale
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar