Kaleem Shah's Dortmund put in a strong workout on the Los Alamitos Race Course dirt March 5, but he'll step on surface unknown to him in his next start.
This year Louisiana Derby (gr. II) winner International Star and Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Dortmund will try to add their sires to the list of Derby winners who have sired Derby winners.
Odds-on choice Dortmund, passed in upper stretch by rival Firing Line, fought back along the inside to score a head victory in the $150,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 7 at Santa Anita Park.
Dortmund is the second Big Brown stakes winner to feature inbreeding to Boundary's sire, Danzig.
Dortmund, winner of the Los Alamitos Futurity (gr. I) and early favorite for the 2015 classics, was an oversized youngster who was difficult to get sold, according to breeder Emilie Fojan.
Odds-on choice Dortmund remained unbeaten by a slim margin as he nipped Firing Line and Mr. Z in a nail-biting finish to the first-ever $500,000 Los Alamitos Futurity (gr. I) Dec. 20.
Trainer Dallas Stewart played a hot hand Sunday at Keeneland when he wheeled back Molto Vita after only a week's rest to take the $125,000 Thoroughbred Club of America (gr. III) for fillies and mares.
Carl F. Pollard's My Trusty Cat is the one to beat when she faces five other fillies and mares in the six-furlong, $125,000 Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes (gr. III) Sunday at Keeneland.
Carl F. Pollard's My Trusty Cat made a last-to-first rally to win the $175,000 Chicago Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares by 1 ¾ lengths over Our Josephina on Saturday at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- Big Orange Gets Best of Order of St George in Gold Cup
- Jockey Club Gold Cup Purse Lowered, Cigar Mile Hiked
- Battle of Midway Using Affirmed as Prep for Haskell
- It's Over: Parties Reach Agreement in Life At Ten Case
- International Sire Elusive Quality Pensioned
- Lady Aurelia Overpowers Males in King's Stand
- Milestone Victory for Goodwin Comes at Canterbury Park
- Highland Reel Refuses to Yield at Royal Ascot