Anita Cauley is living the dream, riding high with her homebred On Fire Baby. The gray mare is a red-hot standout in the older filly and mare division.
Showing her affinity for the Churchill Downs' main track, Anita Cauley's homebred On Fire Baby took the lead coming out of the second turn and wore down pacesetter Devil's Cave to win the La Troienne Stakes (gr. I) May 2.
Anita Cauley's homebred colt Wry, a homebred son of Distorted Humor out of a half sister to grade I winner On Fire Baby, cruised to a smart maiden win by three lengths in his second career start Sept. 7 at Churchill Downs.
Odds-on choice On Fire Baby won the Honeybee Stakes (gr. III) by two lengths at Oaklawn Park March 10, setting up an interesting decision for trainer Gary Hartlage and owner/breeder Anita Cauley.
Overlooked after her fifth-place finish in the Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. I), On Fire Baby registered a 9-1 upset in a wide-open renewal of the $173,400 Pocahontas Stakes (gr. II) at Churchill Downs Oct. 30.
Fantasy (gr. II) winner High Heels, third-place finisher in the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), is headed for the turf for her next start after she worked over grass for the first time at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala