Trainer Mike Maker established a Churchill Downs fall meet record for victories Nov. 19 when One Eyed Joker won the eighth race. His victory gave Maker his 21st triumph of the season.
The William Donald Schaefer Handicap (gr. III) at 1 1/8 mile Saturday at Pimlico drew a field of 11, including Ole Faunty, who was also entered in Friday's Pimlico Special. Pat Day rides the 5-year-old, who won the John B. Campbell Handicap at Laurel in February.
Mack Fehsenfeld's 8-year-old Key Lory overcame an eight-month layoff to earn his fourth consecutive victory in Saturday's $100,000 Red Bank Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park. Under Harry Vega. Key Lory completed the mile in 1:35.92 on the firm turf course.
Trainer Bill Perry has two stakes-winning turf horses, North East Bound and One Eyed Joker, and will be running them both in Saturday's $150,000 Canadian Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) at 1 1/16 miles at Gulfstream Park.
Eibar Coa rode winners in both $100,000 features at Calder Race Course on Saturday.
Proud Man rallied between horses to edge One Eyed Joker by a length Monday in the $134,500, grade III Palm Beach Stakes at Gulfstream Park. Proud Man, ridden by Rene Douglas, ran 1 1/8 miles on the turf course in 1:48 1/5 and paid $7.80, $3.60 and $2.80. One Eyed Joker returned $5.80 and $3.40, and Strategic Partner paid $4.20 to show.
Most Popular Stories
- Sheer Drama Plays Spoiler in Personal Ensign
- Unbridled Forever Rolls to First Grade I Win
- Boban Prevails in Spirited Memsie Finish
- Kawi Handy Winner of Makfi Challenge
- HKJC's Promotes Harding to Executive Post
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- Team Texas Red Partners With TV Star
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Badilla Earns Emotional Win at Golden Gate