Robert M. "Bob" O'Malley, long-time executive at Suffolk Downs, died Feb. 25 at his home in Milton, Mass, after battling cancer for several years.
For the second year in a row, Suffolk Downs will not run the Massachusetts Handicap, which had been scheduled for Sept. 30, track management announced Wednesday.
Recent approval from the Massachusetts State Racing Commission of the TVG network and Magna Entertainment's XpressBet system means bettors there soon will be able to sign up for account wagering with either provider.
In the 1950s, vocalist Dinah Washington crafted a hit with the song "What a Difference a Day Makes." For trainer Bud Delp and the Robert E. Meyerhoff homebred Include, the $500,000 Massachusetts Handicap (gr. II) at Suffolk Downs on June 2 could be titled "What a difference 50 minutes makes."
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Nomorerichblondes Leads Home KY Breds in Meydan
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Maker Quartet Headlines Fair Grounds 'Cap
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move