Olympio, whose name was synonymous with "Derby" in 1991, recently died of a ruptured aorta at Ellen Jackson's Victory Rose Thoroughbreds near Vacaville, Calif.
Sent off as the even-money favorite Jan. 15, the son of Tapit proved he is a serious 3-year-old when he won his stakes debut in the $100,000 Sham (gr. III) at Santa Anita Park.
Godolphin Racing's Pyro, winner of the Forego Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga, has been retired and will enter stud in 2010 at Darley Japan where his fee will be ¥2 million (about US$22,100).
Deep Gold, a nine-year-old stallion by Olympio--Distinctive Review, by Distinctive Pro standing at Cedar Creek Ranch near Grenville, New Mexico died following a freak accident.
What could have been a potential match race between
female titleholders One Fine Shweetie and Sharky's Review in Saturday's $60,000 Mamie Eisenhower Stakes became a gate-to-wire runaway for a third contender in the race, Only At Night.
Cab Driver, a Runaway Groom colt consigned by Paul Sharp, Agent was purchased by Buzz Chace, Agent for $150,000 to top the second and final session Wednesday of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company June Sale of Two-Year-Olds in Training and Horses of Racing Age.
California sire Strike Gold will stand the 2003 season at Gary and Marlene Howard's Hideaway Farms near San Jacinto, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Nutritional Management of Insulin Resistance in Horses
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile