Jockey Oliver Castillo reached 1,000 winners March 27 when he scored a narrow victory aboard Veer in the first race at Laurel Park.
Jockeys Sheldon Russell and Oliver Castillo both will be out four to six months after suffering injuries during separate spills March 22 at Laurel Park.
Morgan Wayson Jr.'s Apple Special turned in the most sparkling race of his career as he zipped past seven other two-year-olds in the year-end feature at Laurel Park, the $50,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship, to score his first stakes victory.
All Rizzi Girl's trainer, William Downing, wanted was a shot at the $125,000 Hillsborough Stakes (gr. III) at Tampa Bay Downs on Saturday. A long shot maybe, but at 10-1 Rizzi Girl got up in the final strides of the about 1 1/18-mile turf race for older fillies and mares to score a neck victory over Sister Star.
Charlotte C. Polin's Ladyecho, making her first start on Aqueduct's inner dirt track, rallied from off the pace Saturday to catch front-running Lizzy Cool in the $81,825 Dearly Precious Stakes fo 3-year-old filles at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- 2015 Dates Conflict at Two Kentucky Tracks
- Alcibiades Kicks Off Return to Keeneland Dirt
- Tracks Find Human Touch Key With New Apps
- Hong Kong Sprinter to Have U.S. Prep for BC
- Big Brown Colt Tops Magic Millions 2YO Sale
- Grade III Winner Fiftyshadesofgold Retired
- Added-Gaming Funds More Than Third of Purses
- Stopchargingmaria Will Be Offered at F-T Sale
- Keeneland Secures Seventh Simulcast Award
- Galileo Colt Leads Strong Goffs Orby Session