Jockey Oliver Castillo reached 1,000 winners March 27 when he scored a narrow victory aboard Veer in the first race at Laurel Park.
Jockeys Sheldon Russell and Oliver Castillo both will be out four to six months after suffering injuries during separate spills March 22 at Laurel Park.
Morgan Wayson Jr.'s Apple Special turned in the most sparkling race of his career as he zipped past seven other two-year-olds in the year-end feature at Laurel Park, the $50,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship, to score his first stakes victory.
All Rizzi Girl's trainer, William Downing, wanted was a shot at the $125,000 Hillsborough Stakes (gr. III) at Tampa Bay Downs on Saturday. A long shot maybe, but at 10-1 Rizzi Girl got up in the final strides of the about 1 1/18-mile turf race for older fillies and mares to score a neck victory over Sister Star.
Charlotte C. Polin's Ladyecho, making her first start on Aqueduct's inner dirt track, rallied from off the pace Saturday to catch front-running Lizzy Cool in the $81,825 Dearly Precious Stakes fo 3-year-old filles at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Sarah Sis Returns to Winning Ways in Chicago
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh
- By the Moon Edges Wavell Avenue at Belmont
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita