Jose Olivares, a retired jockey and member of the Oriental Park Hall of Fame at Calder Race Course, died Jan. 17 at his home in Tampa, Fla., of an apparent heart attack.
Green Vegas, the only horse in Saturday's $400,000 In Reality Division of the Florida Stallion Stakes to have won a stakes race around two turns, benefited from a fast pace to rally to victory while denying Straight Faced a sweep of the lucrative series for juveniles at Calder Race Course.
Favored Dazzling Dr. Cevin took advantage of a switch from turf to dirt Saturday to win the $200,000 Calder Derby in the final strides.
Frank Olivares, the dean of the local jockey colony at 54, announced Wednesday that he is retiring from riding after a comeback of less than a year.
Most Popular Stories
- Old Friends Cabin Creek Welcomes Be Bullish
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah
- Lopez Family Faces Off at Golden Gate
- MarketWatch: McPeek on Yearling Selection
- American Pharoah Jogs One Mile at Churchill
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- Miss Temple City on Schedule for Royal Ascot
- Secretariat's Birthplace Named 'Historic'
- Woodbine Plans Events to Send Off Loiselle
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate