Jose Olivares, a retired jockey and member of the Oriental Park Hall of Fame at Calder Race Course, died Jan. 17 at his home in Tampa, Fla., of an apparent heart attack.
Green Vegas, the only horse in Saturday's $400,000 In Reality Division of the Florida Stallion Stakes to have won a stakes race around two turns, benefited from a fast pace to rally to victory while denying Straight Faced a sweep of the lucrative series for juveniles at Calder Race Course.
Favored Dazzling Dr. Cevin took advantage of a switch from turf to dirt Saturday to win the $200,000 Calder Derby in the final strides.
Frank Olivares, the dean of the local jockey colony at 54, announced Wednesday that he is retiring from riding after a comeback of less than a year.
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- Creative Cause Filly's Sale Emotional for Koch
- Battle of Midway Logs Final Work for Kentucky Derby
- Unbridled Unleashed