Jose Olivares, a retired jockey and member of the Oriental Park Hall of Fame at Calder Race Course, died Jan. 17 at his home in Tampa, Fla., of an apparent heart attack.
Green Vegas, the only horse in Saturday's $400,000 In Reality Division of the Florida Stallion Stakes to have won a stakes race around two turns, benefited from a fast pace to rally to victory while denying Straight Faced a sweep of the lucrative series for juveniles at Calder Race Course.
Favored Dazzling Dr. Cevin took advantage of a switch from turf to dirt Saturday to win the $200,000 Calder Derby in the final strides.
Frank Olivares, the dean of the local jockey colony at 54, announced Wednesday that he is retiring from riding after a comeback of less than a year.
Most Popular Stories
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Jim Rome Remembers Shared Belief
- Woodward Up Next for Frosted
- Lady Eli's Miracle Comeback Looms
- Unbeaten Enola Gray Steps Up in Torrey Pines
- Del Mar to Cut Race Dates, Open Later in 2017
- Majesto Spikes Fever, to Scratch From Travers
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- A Travers Day Christmas Present