Jose Olivares, a retired jockey and member of the Oriental Park Hall of Fame at Calder Race Course, died Jan. 17 at his home in Tampa, Fla., of an apparent heart attack.
Green Vegas, the only horse in Saturday's $400,000 In Reality Division of the Florida Stallion Stakes to have won a stakes race around two turns, benefited from a fast pace to rally to victory while denying Straight Faced a sweep of the lucrative series for juveniles at Calder Race Course.
Favored Dazzling Dr. Cevin took advantage of a switch from turf to dirt Saturday to win the $200,000 Calder Derby in the final strides.
Frank Olivares, the dean of the local jockey colony at 54, announced Wednesday that he is retiring from riding after a comeback of less than a year.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity