Jose Olivares, a retired jockey and member of the Oriental Park Hall of Fame at Calder Race Course, died Jan. 17 at his home in Tampa, Fla., of an apparent heart attack.
Green Vegas, the only horse in Saturday's $400,000 In Reality Division of the Florida Stallion Stakes to have won a stakes race around two turns, benefited from a fast pace to rally to victory while denying Straight Faced a sweep of the lucrative series for juveniles at Calder Race Course.
Favored Dazzling Dr. Cevin took advantage of a switch from turf to dirt Saturday to win the $200,000 Calder Derby in the final strides.
Frank Olivares, the dean of the local jockey colony at 54, announced Wednesday that he is retiring from riding after a comeback of less than a year.
Most Popular Stories
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Secret Circle, Itsmyluckyday in Cigar Mile
- Cary Street Leads 11 in Hawthorne Gold Cup
- Churchill Proposes Derby Bet on Winning Sire
- Lord Nelson Could Rule Kentucky Jockey Club
- Speedy Cassatt Dusts Rivals in Zia Park Oaks
- Derby Winners Have Enjoyed Turf Success
- Romans Likes Added Distance for Remsen Pair
- Unbeaten Dame Dorothy Can Cap Year in Comely
- Sageburg Will Stand in Ireland in 2015