Top Commander led all the way for a 1 1/2 -length victory in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park on Thursday.
In his first start since the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), the odds-on favorite Gold Storm took over at the quarter pole and won the $58,200 Colonel Power Handicap at foggy Fair Grounds Sunday with plenty to spare.
The prominent team of owner Dr. Glen Warren and trainer Andrew Leggio Jr. made their presence felt on opening day at Fair Grounds as Ole Rebel closed from last to capture Thursday's $60,000 Thanksgiving Handicap before an opening day crowd of 7,465.
Fair Grounds Racecourse in New Orleans kicks off its 133rd season of live racing and first under the ownership of Churchill Downs Inc. Thursday with the traditional opening-day feature, the Thanksgiving Handicap.
An open field of seven sprinters is set to square off in the $125,000 Pelleteri Breeders' Cup Handicap Sunday at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint
- Fasig-Tipton Horses of Racing Age Sale Offers Diversity