Top Commander led all the way for a 1 1/2 -length victory in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park on Thursday.
In his first start since the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), the odds-on favorite Gold Storm took over at the quarter pole and won the $58,200 Colonel Power Handicap at foggy Fair Grounds Sunday with plenty to spare.
The prominent team of owner Dr. Glen Warren and trainer Andrew Leggio Jr. made their presence felt on opening day at Fair Grounds as Ole Rebel closed from last to capture Thursday's $60,000 Thanksgiving Handicap before an opening day crowd of 7,465.
Fair Grounds Racecourse in New Orleans kicks off its 133rd season of live racing and first under the ownership of Churchill Downs Inc. Thursday with the traditional opening-day feature, the Thanksgiving Handicap.
An open field of seven sprinters is set to square off in the $125,000 Pelleteri Breeders' Cup Handicap Sunday at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Maiden No More, Laoban Stuns Jim Dandy Rivals
- A. P. Indian Outduels Holy Boss in Vanderbilt
- Flintshire Scores in Eventful Bowling Green
- Lexie Lou Goes Wire to Wire in Victoriana
- Pennsylvania Sanctions Trainer Preciado
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Minding Overcomes Trouble for Nassau Win
- Mind Your Biscuits Takes Amsterdam
- China Group to Build Caribbean Resort, Track
- BH 100: Summer Saturdays