Top Commander led all the way for a 1 1/2 -length victory in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park on Thursday.
In his first start since the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), the odds-on favorite Gold Storm took over at the quarter pole and won the $58,200 Colonel Power Handicap at foggy Fair Grounds Sunday with plenty to spare.
The prominent team of owner Dr. Glen Warren and trainer Andrew Leggio Jr. made their presence felt on opening day at Fair Grounds as Ole Rebel closed from last to capture Thursday's $60,000 Thanksgiving Handicap before an opening day crowd of 7,465.
Fair Grounds Racecourse in New Orleans kicks off its 133rd season of live racing and first under the ownership of Churchill Downs Inc. Thursday with the traditional opening-day feature, the Thanksgiving Handicap.
An open field of seven sprinters is set to square off in the $125,000 Pelleteri Breeders' Cup Handicap Sunday at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Monmouth, Atlantic City Granted 2015 Dates
- Moore, Ortiz Line Up for HK Jockey Battle
- Goffs Registers Record-Breaking Foal Sale
- Indiana Grand Approved for 120 Dates in 2015
- 'Indian Charlie' Sues to Get Back on Track
- New York to Act on New Medication Rules
- First Win for United States at Charles Town
- Pomeroy, Flashy Bull to Stand in Saudi Arabia
- Ex-Calder Racing Secretary Headed to Hialeah
- Torrid Martin Resumes Golden Gate Hot Streak