The number of Thoroughbred broodmares registered in Ohio in 2012 jumped 53.9% from 2011 to 2012, according to Ohio State Racing Commission statistics.
Fifty-one horses are entered in the five races that make up the Best of Ohio, an event that figures to benefit in future years from video lottery terminal revenue.
Ohio horsemen are lobbying the state Senate to alter language in House-passed legislation that would shift pari-mutuel revenue for breeding funds to municipalities that host racetracks.
Requests by Beulah Park and River Downs to schedule their customary Thoroughbred meets for 2009 were officially granted Dec. 19 by the Ohio State Racing Commission.
A decrease in handle in Ohio so far this year has led the Ohio State Racing Commission to reduce funding for the Ohio Thoroughbred Race Fund.
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Storms Eye and Europe to Bearfoot Farms
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- Brown Enters Pleuven, Request in Dania Beach
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY